Elveden C of E Primary Academy
Curriculum Statement: Physical Education
Elveden C of E Primary Academy is committed to providing a high quality educational experience for all pupils and our Physical Education curriculum is no exception. As a Church school, we have 5 clear aims which are inextricably intertwined with our Christian vision, mission statement, physical and mental wellbeing and Building Learning Power. All of these attributes can be observed in our children when they are immersed in physical education.
- Ready to learn: Children have a positive, confident attitude to learning. They are both physically and emotionally ready to learn.
- Resourceful: Children show initiative, asks well thought out questions and are prepared to use a variety of strategies to learn.
- Reflective: Children are curious, able and willing to learn from their mistakes and can describe their progress.
- Resilient: Children are prepared to persevere and stay involved in their learning, even when the process is challenging.
Physical Education at Elveden Academy encompasses more than just being active, it’s about developing the necessary skills needed to confidently compete in sports, understanding the importance of physical and mental health and also the ability to push oneself to achieve a personal best. Therefore our aim is to provide our children with a breadth of memorable P.E experiences where they can boost their wellbeing, improve their physical skills, inquire sporting knowledge and develop their culture capital and competitive spirit.
By the time our students leave us, they will be well equipped with the skills, the knowledge, and the confidence required to actively participate in the competitive sporting world around them. They will be made familiar with various different sports, the rules, skills and tactics needed to play them, so that they can confidently be part of any sporting activity offered to them.
Our Physical Education curriculum follows the National Curriculum and provides children with a wide range of opportunities, with a strong focus on developing skills and self-assessment of those skills. We use the Cambridge Scheme of work for KS1 & KS2 and REAL P.E Plans for EYFS.
Our children experience a range of physical opportunities: extra curricula sporting opportunities such as Tag Rugby, Yoga & Archery. School trips, such as the Women’s FA Cup Final & Tennis events at Wimbledon, inter-school competitions in the local area, swimming in all KS2 year groups, Daily Mile, sponsored Whole school Workouts, Skip2BFit charity Events, assemblies and workshops to develop inspiration and leadership in sport. In lessons, children develop their Physical Education skills though guided practice, peer coaching, personal best development, competitions and games.
The impact of our physical education provision is tangible in our school. Our children understand how exercise can make them feel good, how it allows them to gain a variety of skills and enjoy an active lifestyle. Through P.E, our children have learnt to work better with each other and also grown in skills such as communication, tolerance, trust, empathy and respect for others. Because of our P.E curriculum, our children can cooperate, lead others and learn how to better cope in challenging situations.
As a school, we have been awarded the Gold School Games Award for the past three years and have been nominated for Sports School of the Year 2019.
We use a range of strategies to assess what skills and knowledge the children have attained each term including the following:
- Learning walks
- Pupil voice & perception surveys
- Regular feedback each lesson
- Elveden Years 1&2 2019-20.
- Elveden Years 3 &4 2019-20.
- Elveden Years 5 & 6 2019-20.
- Physical Education Policy
- Press Release
- Gold Certificate 2018
- Active Lives School Report Elveden CofE Primary Academy
- swimming data Y6 2019
- active planner report.
- Virtual Games Award.pdf
- FHPSSA Competition Programme 2020-21
- Elveden muga
- Elveden Year 3 4 2020-21 PE.
- Elveden Year 5 6 2020-21 PE.
- Elveden Year EYFS 12 2020-21 PE